Integrate tags from TwinCAT
More than simply importing the tags and interface from a TwinCAT PLC program, you can fully integrate your IWS project database with a running TwinCAT PLC so that tags are synchronized between the two systems, without the extra configuration required by an OPC connection or direct communication driver.
This feature works with all versions of TwinCAT through version 3.x.
To configure TwinCAT tag integration:
- On the Project tab of the ribbon, in the Settings group, click Communication. The Project Settings dialog box is displayed, with the Communication tab selected.
- In the Tag Integration area, click Add. The Tag Integration Source dialog box is displayed.
- In the Type list, select Integrated if it is not already selected.
- In the Provider list, select TwinCAT if it is not already selected.
- In the Name box, type a name for the source. This name will be used as a prefix for all tags received from the source. For example, if the source name is DEV, a TwinCAT PLC tag named switch1 would subsequently be named DEV_switch1 in your project.
- Click Add. The TwinCAT Interface Configuration dialog box is displayed.
- In the AMS Net ID box, type the AMS Net ID of the TwinCAT PLC that you want to communicate with. For example: 18.104.22.168.1.1.
- Select the port on which the PLC’s runtime system has been configured to run. You can either select one of the standard ports (e.g., 801, 811, 821, 831) or specify a custom port number.
- To the right of the Symbol File box, click Browse. A standard Open dialog box is displayed.
- Use the Open dialog box to locate and select the TwinCAT symbol file (*.TPY) that you exported earlier.
- Click OK to finish the configuration.
If the configuration is successful, your TwinCAT PLC tags will be immediately available in the Object Finder in InduSoft Web Studio.