Creating a new project
This task describes how to create a new IWS project, including how to select the product type and default screen resolution.
- Click the Application button (in the top-left corner of the development application window), and then click New on the the Application menu. The New dialog is displayed.
- Click the Project tab.
Figure 1. Project tab of the New dialog
- In the Project name box, type the name of your project. Keep the following guidelines in mind:
- You must follow the usual Windows naming conventions, particularly regarding the use of special characters; and
- Do not use spaces in the name if you want to access your project from a Thin Client, because URLs cannot include spaces.
- Click Browse to the right of the Location box, and then navigate to the folder where you want to save your project.
Tip: By default, projects are saved in your Documents folder at C:UsersusernameDocumentsInduSoft Web Studio v7.1 Projects. To change this default location for future projects, edit the Default project path setting in the project settings. For more information, see Preferences tab.
- If you have collaboration enabled and you want to add this project to your source control, select Add new project to collaboration. For more information, see About collaboration and source control.
- In the Target platform list, select the platform of the computer or embedded device that will host your project runtime. Selecting a platform will filter the list of available product types to show only those types that work on the selected platform. It is not absolutely necessary to select a target platform — if you leave the selection as (All), then all product types are shown — but it helps you to make the decision.
- In the Product type list, select the product type for your project. The product type determines how many tags your project will support, among other things. For more information, see About target platforms and product types.
Tip: You may change the product type later, after you have created the project, by using the Target System command on the Project tab of the ribbon.
- Click OK. The New dialog is closed, and the Project Wizard dialog is displayed.
Figure 2. Project Wizard dialog
- In the Resolution list, select the default resolution for your project screens. If you select Custom, then also enter the width and height. In most cases, the default resolution should match the display size of the workstation or device that will host your project runtime, or if you plan to access the project from other clients, then the default resolution should match the display size of those clients.
Tip: You may change the resolution of individual project screens later, after you have created the project, by editing the screen attributes. Also, you may change the resolution of all project screens — effectively selecting a new default resolution — by using the Convert Resolution command on the Home tab of the ribbon.
- Click OK. The Project Wizard dialog is closed, and the project is created.