Install the full InduSoft Web Studio software
Install the full InduSoft Web Studio software on your Windows computer in order to develop IWS projects, or to use the computer as a project runtime server and/or client.
- A Windows-compatible computer with a standard keyboard, pointer input (e.g., mouse, trackpad, or touchscreen), and SVGA-minimum display;
- One of the following Windows operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3
- Microsoft Windows Vista Service Pack 2
- Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1
- Microsoft Windows 8 or 8.1 (excluding Windows RT)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012
- Microsoft Windows XP Embedded Service Pack 3
- Microsoft Windows Embedded Standard 7
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 (see note below);
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later;
- 2 GB free hard drive space or non-volatile memory; and
- An Ethernet or Wi-Fi network adapter, for TCP/IP networking.
We recommend the Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions of Windows, because they include Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) as a pre-installed feature that can be turned on. You can use IIS to make your projects accessible to thin clients and mobile devices. We do not recommend the Starter and Home Basic editions because they do not include IIS, but you can still use them if you do not plan to use web-based features.
- A DVD-ROM drive, to install the software from disc.
This is optional because you can also download the installer to your computer.
- A USB or parallel port, to be used with hardkey licensing of the software.
This is optional because softkey licensing is also available.
- Serial COM ports and adapters, to be used for direct communication with PLCs and other devices.
This is optional because many newer device protocols use TCP/IP communication instead of serial communication.
- Microsoft IIS installed and turned on, to make your projects accessible to mobile devices. For more information, see the description of Mobile Access Runtime below.
This is optional because you may choose not to install the Mobile Access Runtime feature.
- Microsoft Visual Studio Team Explorer 2010 installed, to enable workgroup collaboration and source control. For more information, see the description of Collaboration below.
This is optional because you may choose not to install the Collaboration feature.
- You must have Administrator privileges on the computer in order to install software.
- Only Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Server 2012 are under what Microsoft calls “mainstream support”, which means they are actively maintained and additional service packs may be released for them in the future. The rest of the listed operating systems are under what Microsoft calls “extended support”, which means they are no longer actively maintained.
- InduSoft Web Studio can be installed on Windows XP 64-bit, but we do not support it.
- Even though you can install the full InduSoft Web Studio software on a Windows XP Embedded or Windows Embedded Standard 7 computer, if you do not plan to do project development on that computer and will use it only as a project runtime server and/or client, you should consider installing EmbeddedView instead. EmbeddedView does not support as many project tags as the full software, but it requires fewer system resources and it can be installed and managed remotely.
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 is pre-installed on newer versions of Windows, but it may not be turned on. To turn it on, use the Programs and Features control panel ( ).
On older versions of Windows, Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 must be installed separately. The InduSoft Web Studio installer will attempt to do this for you (see Step 2 below), but depending on your computer’s security settings, the installation might fail without notice. If you experience problems later, while trying to run InduSoft Web Studio, you should at least confirm that Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 was installed successfully. To do this in Windows XP or Windows Server 2003, use the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs).
Please note that Microsoft .NET Framework 4 does not include Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1.
To install the full InduSoft Web Studio software:
- Do one of the following:
- Download the zipped installer to your computer, either from our website (www.indusoft.com) or from another location on your network where you have previously saved it. Extract the zip archive, open the resulting folder, and then locate and double-click setup.exe.
- Insert the installation disc into your DVD-ROM drive. If it does not autorun, manually run D:indusoft.htm. When the page opens in your browser, follow the instructions for Product Installation.
The installation wizard runs and asks you to select a language for the installation.
- Select a language from the list, and then click OK. This selection determines what language the installation wizard will use, as well as what language the project development application’s user interface will be in. You can change the language of the user interface later, after you have installed the software. The wizard prepares for installation. During this step, it automatically installs SafeNet’s Sentinel drivers (a part of the software licensing mechanism) and Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1.
- On the Welcome page of the wizard, click Next to proceed with the installation.
- On the License Agreement page, click either Yes to accept the agreement and proceed or No to refuse the agreement and exit the wizard.
- On the Customer Information page, enter your user name and company name, and then click Next.
- On the Choose Destination Location page, select the folder where the software should be installed, and then click Next. By default, the software will be installed at: C:Program FilesInduSoft Web Studio v7.1
- On the Select Features page, select which software features and components you want to install on your computer, and then click Next. The following features are available:
- Program Files
- The main program files for the project development application, the project runtime server, and the project runtime client. This feature cannot be deselected.
- Premade projects that demonstrate the capabilities of the InduSoft Web Studio software.
- Hardkey Support
- Additional drivers to support the use of hardkey licenses.
- OPC Components
- Additional components to communicate with other OPC-compatible devices. This includes OPC DA (a.k.a. OPC Classic), OPC UA, OPC .NET (a.k.a. OPC Xi), and OPC XML-DA.
- PDF Printing
- Software for printing run-time reports directly to PDF files.
- Security System Device Driver
- An additional keyboard driver to control user input for project security.
- Symbol Library
- A library of premade but configurable screen objects such as pushbuttons, toggle switches, gauges, dials, indicator lights, and so on.
- Windows CE Runtime
- Also called CEView — project runtime software (server/client, but not development) for Windows Embedded Compact on a variety of processors. Check the documentation for your specific device to see what processor it uses.
Note: Selecting this feature will not actually install CEView on your computer. It will simply unpack the installation files and copy them to your program folder, so that you can later install CEView on a Windows Embedded Compact device.
- Windows Embedded Runtime
- Also called EmbeddedView — project runtime software (server/client, but not development) for Windows Embedded Standard computers.
Note: Selecting this feature will not actually install EmbeddedView on your computer. It will simply unpack the installation files and copy them to your program folder, so that you can later install EmbeddedView on a Windows Embedded Standard computer
- Windows Mobile
- Additional runtime software for older Windows Mobile devices.
- Mobile Access Runtime
- Additional software for Microsoft IIS that makes your project runtime accessible to mobile devices such as tablets and smartphones.
This feature requires that you have Microsoft IIS turned on and configured with ASP, ASP.NET, and ISAPI Extensions enabled. The InduSoft Web Studio installation wizard will attempt to verify that you do, and if you do not, it will not install this feature.
For more information, see Turn on Microsoft IIS for thin client access.
You do not need to install this feature at this time. You can install it later, after you have turned on IIS, or you can install it on another computer that is acting as your project runtime server. There is a separate Mobile Access Runtime installer (MobileAccessSetup.exe) that is unpacked with the rest of the software.Note: To use Mobile Access Runtime, your InduSoft Web Studio software license must have the necessary add-on. You can still develop projects that include Mobile Access features, even without the license add-on, but mobile devices will not be able to access them.
- Additional tools for workgroup collaboration and source control within the development environment.
This feature requires that you have Microsoft Visual Studio Team Explorer 2010 installed on the same computer. The InduSoft Web Studio installation wizard will attempt to verify that you do, and if you do not, it will not install this feature.
The Team Explorer module is included in some versions of Microsoft Visual Studio 2010, so if you already have Visual Studio installed on your computer, you might be able to select and install the Collaboration feature. However, if you do not have Visual Studio installed, or if you are not sure that your version of Visual Studio includes the Team Explorer module, you can separately download and install Team Explorer 2010 for free.
To download Team Explorer 2010, go to: www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=329Note: Team Explorer 2012 and Team Explorer 2013 are not supported at this time for the collaboration client.
To use the Collaboration feature, you should also have Microsoft Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010 or 2012 running somewhere on your network, but if you do not, it will not prevent you from installing the Collaboration feature now.Note: Team Foundation Server 2013 is not supported at this time for the collaboration server.
To use the Collaboration feature, your InduSoft Web Studio software license must have the Collaboration add-on. To purchase the add-on, please contact your software vendor.
- On the Ready To Install page, click Install. The installation proceeds.
- On the final page, click Finish. The wizard closes.
- InduSoft Web Studio v7.1+SP3
- The project development application, project runtime server, and project runtime client.
- A utility that manages your InduSoft Web Studio software license.
- A shortcut that automatically starts the project runtime server and runs the most recent project.
- Remote Agent
- A utility that allows InduSoft Web Studio running on other computers to connect to your computer and send projects to it.
- Quick Start Guide
- A brief guide to installing and using the project development application, including a tutorial for building a simple project.
- Help Manual
- A complete technical reference and user guide for the InduSoft Web Studio software.
- Release Notes
- A list of changes in the the InduSoft Web Studio software.
There should also be a shortcut icon on your desktop.
- Double-click the shortcut icon on your desktop; or
- Click .