Import a Studio XML Screen
Use the Import Wizard to import a Studio XML Screen, which is an external text file created with InduSoft Web Studio‘s custom XML schema.
Before you begin this task, you must have a properly formatted Studio XML Screen file that you can import.
A Studio XML Screen file contains the same information as a regular screen file (*.SCR). It is simply formatted as human-readable XML instead of binary data, which makes it more flexible and portable.
XML files can be manually created in any text editor, of course, but our intent is to enable you to quickly and programmatically create large numbers of screens in Microsoft Visual Studio using our custom XML schema and its associated C# API. This often requires additional training and support, so the schema and API are not included in the standard installation of InduSoft Web Studio. Instead, the schema, API, documentation, sample files, and support contract can be purchased as a separate toolkit. For more information, please contact your software vendor.
Once you have created your screens, you can use the Import Wizard to batch import them into your IWS project.
To import one or more Studio XML Screens:
- On the Home tab of the ribbon, in the Tools group, click Import Wizard. The Import Wizard dialog box is displayed.
- In the Source Type list, click Studio XML Screen, and then click Next. The next step of the import wizard is displayed.
Figure 1. Selecting the screens to import
- Under Options, choose whether imported screens should automatically replace existing screens in your project. Screens are considered to be duplicates if they have the same file name. For example, Objects.xml and Objects.scr would be duplicates.
- If you do not want the imported screens to replace existing screens in your project, select Do not import duplicate screens. A warning will be displayed for each duplicate that you try to import.
- If you want the imported screens to automatically replace existing screens in your project, select Replace duplicates with imported screens.
- Click Browse. A standard Open dialog box is displayed.
- Use the file browser to locate and select the Studio XML Screen files that you want to import, and then click Open. You can Ctrl-click and Shift-click to select more than one file. The selected file(s) are displayed in the Screen(s) box.
- Click Next. The selected screens are processed, and then the next step of the import wizard is displayed showing the project tags that are included in the selected screens.
Figure 2. Selecting the project tags to import
- In the list of project tags, select the tags that you want to import with the screens:
- For each tag in the list, select or clear the check box to the left.
- To select all of the check boxes, click Check. To clear all of the check boxes, click Uncheck.
- To filter the list of tags, click Filter and then configure filter strings for one or more columns. You can use wildcard characters (* and ?) in the filter strings.
- Click Finish.